So you probably know a few assholes. Most of us do.
There's a real easy way to get past the shit they do, instead of being provoked by it and carrying it around with you. And the bonus is, you get revenge without even trying.
It's simple. While they are responsible for their words and actions, the majority of people have no idea at all why they say what they say or do what they do. They don't have a clue why they're the way they are.
But they'll argue and fight, and tell you, "It's just the way I am" with their dying breath.
So they're saying they can't help being an asshole. Because it's just the way they are.
What they mean is, I look at things the way I do and you can't change my mind. I feel how I feel and you can't change that. I have my beliefs and opinions and they're right. I have my routines and habits and there's no reason I should have to change them.
So, next time you're dealing with their bullshit, you just cut it off by waving your hand and saying, "I know, I know, you can't help it."
This will throw them, because they won't know what you mean. I can't help what? I'm talking about how something should be, giving my opinion, or I'm demanding something of you - how the hell does that turn into it's just the way I am?
They have no clue why they're the way they are. They'll never change. You leave out the part about being an asshole, and leave them wondering. Now they want to know exactly how you think they are that they can't help. It'll drive them crazy.
Considering how important people find it to be taken seriously, to be seen as speaking and acting with intent, and considering how much they value their freedom and free will, when you say this to them, you're telling them they don't have free will - they're doomed to always act in predictable ways because they're wired that way. It'll drive them crazy. They'll try to convince you otherwise. Oh, now you want to try to convince me that you choose to be an asshole? They lose either way.
You know, either you're wired a certain way and can't change, and therefore don't have free will, which means you can't take credit for accomplishing anything in life, or you have free will, which means you're in charge of what you say and do, and you choose to be an asshole. Which is it?
No comments:
Post a Comment